I’m going to try to just let it rip tonight without deleting anything because I think someone might find it inappropriate. Here goes:
- We have a new attorney in our office. Today was my first day with her. She spent some time in Kentucky and grew up in rural Frederick county in Maryland. She’s German and Irish according to our conversation today, with a little extra. She mentioned that she was part colored. Now, I’m trying to take all of her history and exposure into consideration and be fair, but um Houston, we’ve got a problem. Weez stopped bein’ colored a looong time ago and I’m trying to figure out just how to break it to her that uh, she needs to stop using that word post-haste. My boss was right there when she said it and she turned bright red. She knows it’s coming. A sister is going to say something real soon. I know some people think…oops, there I go…I mean, I don’t give a damn if you think that I’m too sensitive about these things, but this word connotes a context that is just unacceptable to me in a professional setting in 2006, by a TWENTY-something. BLACK. Please, just call me Black. Don’t try to figure out all the rest (African-American, American-African, person of color, Afro-American), Black will do. Thank you very much.
- Oprah really gets on my nerves and I need to flesh that out a little bit more. I hate when people think they have worked through their shit to the point where they are now the expert on everybody else’s! I hate people thinking they know what the hell is the best for somebody else and that somehow they have arrived to the point of being able to dictate what worked for them that you should now try. Oprah is the Queen of this BS and I can’t stand her! She thinks she knows everything. I don’t object to her right to say the crap she says, I just hate when I leave my tv on and accidentally have to hear it. It sounds like evesdropping on a co-dependent, self-righteous, whack job therapist every single time I hear her speak! And she has the nerve to correct the professionals who at the very least read a book on ethics and boundaries in a counseling relationship…things of which Queen O hasn’t the slightest clue. Remember when I mentioned gym cockiness? Oprah has life cockiness. She’s like the mega-church prosperity pastors who preach about what you need to do go get your very own Lear jet and Bentley. “Give me more money (I mean, tithe) and you too can be as rich as I am.” Oh, in Queen O’s case, “keep tuning into my bullshit and I’ll continue to make billions and you too can have the perfect life that I have.” ARGH! I hate her. Sometimes I watch because there’s a guest or topic I’m really interested. I really wish I could just mute HER in order to see the show. [sigh]
- Can someone tell me why on earth a pastor needs a Lear jet? Is he running emergency food drops to the Sudan, Malawi, Niger? Is he rushing essential first responder missions to the Gulf Coast, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia? No!! Well, what the hell’s he doing with the church’s money? Flying from Atlanta to preach at a second church in Chicago once a month to take their money too, you say? And I’m going to hell because I’m a girl who thinks sex is one of God’s best ideas ever, and don’t mind saying so? Creflo Dollar is my uncle Sheister. Ok, not really. But I bet he knows him!
- I am really mad that there is so much stupidity in the church. There are so many people who go who want to do good things in the world, but they have to wade through so much crap. And then they get discouraged and just stay home and watch Oprah, oy!!
- I’m sitting here watching 3 quarters of a pint of Haagen-Daz strawberry melt. I know it’s wasteful, but I need a good excuse to get it out of the house. I have to go back to my rule of limiting junk food in the fridge. I just get too carried away. I never bought this ice cream, now that I think about it. I have lots of parties and people bring stuff and leave it…As you should. I mean, you’re not allowed to take back something you bring to a party. But I’m going to have to start sending some stuff home. I’m a danger to myself. I haven’t said much about the weight loss efforts recently because there’s not much to say. I think I am making better choices, one day at a time. I ran quite a few days last week, but I’m off to a bad start this week. Vacations interrupt a workout routine. I’ll keep plugging at it. I hope to see significant progress by Christmas.
- I can’t wait for the new Survivor to start. I love controversy. There’s quite a stir about it on Guilty With An Explanation. I can’t wait. I have some real racial issues that I need to flesh out myself. I am hoping the issues brought up by the show will give me the space and a community to work through them. Prejudices are so bizarre. Too often we don’t know where the heck they come from. When I get up the nerve I’ll confess mine you’ll see what I mean. It really is strange if you know anything about me at all. Maybe I’ll tell you when I talk about the show once it starts in September. It’s awful, but I can’t deny it. I hope naming mine will give other’s the courage to name theirs. I’ll be working on building up my courage in the meantime. Today I’ll just admit to wanting to choke people who refer to blacks as colored. That is SUCH a problem that must be addressed.
I’ve rambled about enough for tonight. Pick a topic and sound off!